START YOUR PERIOPERATIVE NURSING CAREER TODAY WITH THEATRE START
Perioperative Nurses, sometimes referred to as Operating Room (OR) Nurses, are Registered Nurses who provide direct care to patients undergoing surgical or other invasive procedures. According to Australia’s Future Health Workforce Evaluation (2014) Perioperative Nurses are in short supply which means that opportunities for employment are possible for people with the right skills, knowledge, and experience. If you have always wanted to work as a Perioperative (Theatre) Nurse but were unsure of how to get into this highly specialised area of nursing “Theatre Start” “might just be the Perioperative Nursing Program you need to turn your dream career into your actual job!
What the does the course involve?
“Theatre Start” is a unique perioperative nursing program that allows participants an opportunity to develop the knowledge and practical clinical skills needed to work as a novice Scrub/Scout Nurse (Instrument/Circulating Nurse) in just 14 short weeks.
To develop competence and confidence, Theatre Start uses a variety of methods to help participants apply theory to practice and build a framework for their perioperative development. Self directed learning, supportive face to face study and a Healthscope internship (clinical placement) are just a few of the methods used to assist participants to become work ready. Learning for participants is strengthened by the support of local Healthscope staff who are available throughout placement to answer questions, supervise new learning, and provide practice opportunities and ongoing encouragement/ advice.
In a bit more detail, the program has:
· 40 hours of self-directed learning (activities, reading and videos)
· 7 days of intensive workshops including critical thinking and problem-solving activities, practical simulations, role plays and an assessment of clinical competence in a simulated theatre environment.
· Validation of competence to make sure you have the fundamental skills mastered
· 12 weeks of clinical internship at a Healthscope facility, participants are supported to increase their independence and competence to practice as a perioperative nurse under the guidance of their Facility Buddy.
· Guided self-reflection and clinical supervision
What does this program aim to do?
The program aims to assist participants to;
· Transition safely into the perioperative setting with both confidence and competence.
· Consolidate practice and apply newly learnt skills to a real work environment.
· Act as an instrument and circulating nurse under the support of more experienced nurses.
· Develop their professional self, and critical thinking/problem solving skills.
· Test and validate clinical practice skills and knowledge to ensure optimal safe, person-centred care provision.
· Develop the confidence/assertiveness needed to escalate and report concerns.
Who should Apply?
Theatre Start is perfect for any nurse (RN or EN) who is interested in working in the Perioperative Nursing environment. This Perioperative Nursing Program is open to all nurses including those with conditions on their AHPRA registration. This is a great opportunity for nurses with conditions to complete their 450 hours of supervised practice while at the same time developing brand new skills and knowledge. Please see more info on entry requirements below.
• AHPRA Registration (if you have conditions, see below)
• Vaccinations required to work in a hospital,
• National Police Clearance and Working with Children Check (without offenses)
• HLTAID001 Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation or equivalent.
• Rights to work in Australia
Information for Nurses with Conditions
If you have conditions on your nursing registration requiring 450 hours of supervised practice, you may be eligible for this program. Prior to enrolment, we will require your official letter of conditions from AHPRA to determine your eligibility. All nurses who have conditions due to deferred registration status are eligible, other conditions are subject to approval.
Why should I apply
• Build highly specialised knowledge, experience and clinical skills in a supportive environment without the pressure of being counted in the daily staffing numbers
• Develop the skills, knowledge and experience needed to enter into this highly specialised nursing field
• Meet AHPRA Recency of Practice and Continuing Professional Development requirements
• Gain fantastic perioperative clinical experience with a leading Healthscope Hospital
• Gain recent clinical references that can be used to help secure your dream job
• Obtain real experience with real employment opportunities
What resources will I need / be provided?
• All Australian Healthcare Academy training sites have classrooms, nursing labs and the equipment/consumables needed to practice key nursing skills and meet program objectives.
• Learning Guides, Textbooks, 7-day Workshop, Workshop Consumables, Placement Fees, Insurance, Scrubs and an ID Badge are provided.
• Participants will need access to a computer, internet, and email to complete program requirements.
Why Australian Healthcare Academy?
Australian Healthcare Academy is a leading provider of continuing education to nurses Australia wide. AHA has been offering support and specialisation programs to nurses since 2014. When you choose AHA, you are choosing to enroll into high quality education for nurses by nurses. We will ensure your success through personalised supports, small class sizes, knowledgeable educators, and evidence based learning.
At AHA, our team is ready to help make your dreams and career aspirations a reality. Our trainers are highly educated nurses who specialise in their field, all with a passion to share their knowledge to our students.
Through our partnership with Healthscope, AHA is excited to be offering a program that will provide participants with an amazing internship and employment opportunities. If you are looking to grow your career, or change it's direction, Theatre Start will help you do just that!
When you join Healthscope, you become part of our Community of Care.
Our people are at the heart of our organisation - no matter the role, every day our people make a difference to the lives of our patients and their families. We work together to create positive, memorable experiences, alongside our quality care, in every moment of every day.
As the only national private hospital operator and healthcare provider in Australia, Healthscope is committed to fostering the growth and development of both the Registered & Enrolled nurse across our 42 hospitals. We strive to empower our people to learn and grow with us, providing substantial opportunities for career progression within a nurturing and flexible environment. Healthscope has partnered with the Australian Healthcare Academy on Theatre Start to do just that, developing participants to be work ready!
Healthscope can provide you with the platform to springboard your career to the next level.
Come and be the difference in our patient's lives.
Ready to Enrol?
Once we have received your information, we will contact you to confirm your enrolment and outline the next steps in the process.
QLD, NSW and VIC Course Date