Learning Outcomes/Course Outline
Australian Healthcare Academy's Refresher Nursing Program is designed for nurses currently registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia to update and refresh their knowledge and competency in acute care nursing. This course has been developed for nurses who have experience as an RN or EEN and wish to enter or re-enter into the acute care setting. This could be nurses who want to move from one role to another, like management/education/research roles to a clinical role or from non-acute areas like aged care into acute care. This program is also perfect for nurses with a gap in practice who still meet AHPRA's recency of practice standard but would like to refresh their knowledge before re-entering the workforce.
The Refresher Nursing Course builds on preceding knowledge and skills by educating and presenting the nurse about modern requirements and responsibilities of the contemporary nurse.
CPD: 35 hours
Recency of Practice Hours: 120
Duration of course
Our Refresher Nursing Course runs over 4 weeks, one week in the classroom followed by a three week practical placement within hospital offering participants the unique opportunity to experience work within acute care under a supervised model prior to entering the workforce. This program runs concurrently with our WorkReady Support Program.
Throughout the Refresher Nursing Course, the following topics will be covered:
- Documentation, Policies, Procedures, and Observations
- Handover, Communication, and Time Management
- Admissions and Discharges including pre and post op care
- Medication administration and calculations
- Pain management and PCAs
- Aseptic technique, wound care, and dressing management
- Management of surgical drains
- Oxygen therapy
- Completion of ECGs and basic ECG interpretation
- Urinary catheter care and bladder scans
- NGT and PEG tube care and feeding
- Stoma and Colostomy Management
Sydney 2021 Dates:
October 4, October 25, November 15
Melbourne 2021 Dates:
October 18, November 8
Please contact us for course fees and information on our flexible payment plans.