What is the course about?
Our Transition to Mental Health Nursing Course was developed in response to the shortage of trained mental health nurses available in Australia. The demand for Mental Health Nurses has never been greater but it is difficult for nurses to obtain employment within this specialty without further training after their Bachelor Degree.
This program has been developed in collaboration with different hospitals and healthcare providers in Australia to ensure that students who graduate from this program will meet their needs and requirements when applying for jobs as Mental Health Nurses.
What does the program include:
- 6 days of online theory and practical learning spread over 2 weeks followed by
- 3 weeks of clinical placement within a public or private healthcare facility
Learning Objectives Include:
- Examine treatment options and specific nursing interventions for each mental disorder.
- Equip nurses to assess, intervene and holistically care for each mentally ill patient.
- Review current ethical principles and legislative policies in regard to mental health.
- Develop the ability to care for and advocate for mentally ill patients.
Open to any Registered or Enrolled Nurse holding unrestricted AHPRA registration who is looking to begin a career within Mental Health Nursing. This can include nurses educated within Australia or overseas with or without mental health experience in their home country.
February applications now open!
2021 Course Dates:
April 19, June 15, August 2, September 6, October 25