Introduction to Scrub and Scout Nursing Program
According to Australia’s Future Health Workforce Evaluation (2014) perioperative nursing is the most in demand specialist nursing position. Delivery of nursing care within the perioperative setting requires specialized knowledge and skills, both of which this program is designed to provide participants.
Australian Healthcare Academy’s Introduction to Scrub and Scout Nursing Program is accredited by The Australian College of Perioperative Nurses and endorsed by The Australian College of Nurses. This program provides nurses with the opportunity to explore the perioperative nursing environment, understand the knowledge involved in this specialized clinical setting, and practice the clinical skills required to work in this environment. With supportive study and enhanced hands on practice, AHA aims to assist participants in developing the knowledge and clinical skills required to undertake the perioperative nursing duties of the scrub and scout roles. By successfully completing this program, participants will gain the knowledge needed to begin a career as a novice Scrub or Scout Nurse.
This program runs over 4 weeks and includes one 3 days in class with a perioperative nurse educator followed by a 3 week placement within a private healthcare facility. Throughout the placement, participants will be continuously supported as they begin to increase their independence and competence as perioperative nurses. Australian Healthcare Academy works with Australia’s leading healthcare providers to place our nurses and employment assistance is provided after completion of all of our programs.
Nurses who complete this program will be able to:
- Discuss the context of scrub/scout nursing reflecting on ACORN competency standards and practice guidelines
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge of and participate in a “time out” procedure.
- Successfully demonstrate surgical scrubbing, gowning and gloving.
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge of aseptic technique and opening skills.
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge of name of instruments and their use.
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge of the different patient position and its common use.
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge of countable items and clinical skills of performing a surgical count.
- Successfully demonstrate safe use and handling of sharps, instruments, and equipment.
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge and practice of skin prep and draping of a surgical field.
- Successfully demonstrate knowledge and understanding of four common surgical procedures.
This program is open to any registered or enrolled nurse who is interested in exploring work within the scrub and scout nursing role including new graduate nurses, nurses with general nursing experience, or nurses with overseas experience in a perioperative role. Nurses must hold unrestricted AHPRA registration, and have an up to date national police check, working with children’s check for the state their placement is in, up to date immunisation records, and up to date CPR and manual handling certificates.
Course Dates and Pricing
Please contact us for information on course dates and our flexible payment plans.
- Duration 4 weeks
- Skill level Open to all Registered and Endorsed Enrolled Nurses in Australia
- Language English
- Assessments Theory and Practical