Learning Outcomes/Course Outline
Australian Healthcare Academy's Introduction to Cannulation and Venepuncture Course will provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to begin practicing cannulation and venepuncture within the clinical setting under the supervision of a trained practitioner.
On completion of this course, participants will have the required knowledge to commence the workshop assessment phase and supervised cannulation practice. Participants will be able to manage peripheral intravenous cannulation procedures, using best practice while achieving optimal outcomes for their patients.
CPD: 6 points
Duration of Course and Eligibility
Australian Healthcare Academy's Introduction to Venepuncture and Cannulation Course is offered to any Registered Nurse or other Healthcare Practitioner such as Radiographers who are looking to enter into or are required to perform cannulation and/or venepuncture in their workplace. It is offered over one day in our training facility.
Assessment will be carried out through a multiple choice and simulation assessment. Participants will receive a certificate of theory completion at the end of the course and then will be provided with a practical component to complete within their employment after which a certificate of theory and practical completion will be awarded.
This course will take a look at the following:
- Legal implications related to venepuncture and cannulation
- Standard precautions for these procedures
- Locate and identify the veins commonly used for cannulation
- State the potential complications associated with cannulation
- Explain the prevention and management strategies of these complications
- Education of a patient who has a peripheral intravenous cannula inserted
- Demonstrate competence in the procedures of peripheral intravenous cannulation within the simulation environment
2020 NSW Dates
August 14, September 26, October 17,
November 14, December 12